Sunday, March 18, 2012

Will He Have to Defend His Own Deaf Being?


Every time I look at my 4-year-old Deaf nephew, I wonder if the world will embrace him for who he is as a bilingual Deaf person. With all the negativity that surrounds the Deaf community at the moment, I still have hope that some day people will recognize the beauty of ASL and Deaf culture. No matter what parents choose for their Deaf children, every human being deserves to be respected and valued. I hope some day people will cease to perceive Deaf people as an inferior group, and see them as wonderful contributing members of the society. I really don't want this vicious cycle of fear and ignorance among hearing people to continue, and I don't want my nephew to grow up having to defend his own Deaf being. Am I being too hopeful?

No comments:

Post a Comment