Thursday, March 29, 2012

We all Are Racists

I don't think being called a racist means you hate black people. To me, it means you are unaware of OR benefit from your privileges as a white person, which results in your inability to see things from the oppressed's perspective. I know I'm a racist in this sense, and most white people (if not all!) are too. Most people think being called a "racist" is a personal attack, and some people use this term to attack others. I can understand why white people like myself can get defensive when this happens and say, "No! I'm not a racist! I just don't see it the way you do!" BUT the reason why we don't see it the way people of color do is because we are ALSO victims of the racist system. We DO say, think, and do racist things without realizing it. So when someone points this out to us, I do hope that we, white people, are able to examine ourselves and our privileges. Always believe and support the oppressed group, even if we can't see "it". I know this may be hard to do, but I strongly believe that racism will diminish if we all are able to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment