Tuesday, January 8, 2013

white privilege


"Recently I was in a meeting with a white woman, and an African American woman where the African American woman was trying to explain to the white woman, with me as a witness, that what the white woman was doing was very oppressive to her. The African American woman took great pains to be respectful to be as articulate as she could, while being kind at the same time, and really told a lot of stories in the hopes that this white woman would understand in what ways she was oppressing her. And each time that the African American woman would tell her story, the white woman would say, “No, you were wrong. No, you must not understand what I was telling you. You obviously don’t know me very well. I would never do that.” I call this behavior of always being right, always thinking that you know better than a person of color, always trying to make sure that things work for you, as internalized white superiority. I rarely really understand when I’m exhibiting behavior that is racist and internalized white superiority in its nature."-Cracking the Codes: The System of Racial Inequality (Movie)

No comments:

Post a Comment