Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Poem by an African American Woman


"Looking well in these books I see
Nothing in them rings a bell
Oh how I wish they’d speak to me
And my grandmother with the stories she’d tell
My family has refrained you see
From causing up a stir
They have been trained not to mention all the rape and the death
Making my history just a blur
Perhaps that s why you feel no shame
Just giving me one page
Erasing the source of my Family’s real name
To prevent me from tracing their rage
And you ask me why
There’s hopelessness and blindness
In the young ghetto children’s eyes
Well any strong tree uplifted and stripped of roots
Eventually will wither and die
And looking within these books I see
Nothing in them rings a bell
Oh how I wish they’d speak to me"
-Cracking the Codes: The System of Racial Inequalty (Movie)

No comments:

Post a Comment